How to start saving with Express Scripts Home Delivery
- When using Express Scripts Home Delivery, be sure to ask your doctor to write a prescription for a 90-day supply of each medication (plus refills for up to 1 year, if appropriate).
- Fill out an Express Scripts Home Delivery order form and send the completed information, your prescription, and your payment option to the address provided on the order form. Your medication will usually be delivered within 8 days after Express Scripts receives your order. Download home delivery form here
- If you are currently taking a medication, be sure to have at least a 14-day supply on hand when ordering. If you don't have enough, ask your doctor to give you a second prescription for a 14-day supply and fill it at a participating retail pharmacy while your mail-order prescription is being processed.
- You can also choose to sign up for Express Scripts Home Delivery online. To register, visit http://www.express-scripts.com/ and follow the easy instructions. Once you have registered, click "Order center" and follow the instructions. Express Scripts will contact your doctor to transfer your current prescriptions to Express Scripts Home Delivery.
You may also have your doctor fax your prescriptions. Ask your doctor to call 1-888-327-9791 for faxing instructions.
Could My Home Delivery Prescription be Delayed?
Express Scripts has a good track record for quickly filling prescriptions, but certain things could delay shipment:
- Missing information.
- Prescription not written for a 90-day supply.
- No refills.
- Drug interactions.
- Uncommon dosages.
- Lack of preauthorization when required.
- Home delivery prescriptions may also be delayed if a duplicate prescription is filled at a local pharmacy within 10 days of requesting a home delivery prescription.
- Avoid ordering a refill before 75% (68 days) of their prescription is gone. The home delivery facility will view the order as too early to fill.
- You should always have a two-week supply of medication on hand to allow time for delivery.
- Be aware that the home delivery facility is unable to supply a medication if the manufacturer cannot supply the drug.
The home delivery facility may also contact providers to see if they may substitute a brand name prescription with an equivalent generic drug when one is available. You should reserve the home delivery for those medications that are used for a chronic disease. To ensure that a medication will work for our Members, PEHP recommends that first time prescriptions be filled at a local pharmacy to ensure that there are no adverse effects.
The Advantages of using Express Scripts Home Delivery
- Get up to a 90-day supply of each covered medication for a lower co-payment (subject to plan limitations, rules, and state regulations).
- Registered pharmacists are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Order refills online, by mail, or by phone - anytime day or night. To order online, register at www.express-scripts.com. Refills are usually delivered within 8 days after Express Scripts receives your order.
- Choose a convenient payment option - check, money order, credit card, or Express Scripts automatic payment program
- Standard shipping is free.
Examples of medications not available via home delivery include:
- Cough and cold products
- Pain medications
- Muscle relaxants
Examples of Maintenance Medications available through Home Delivery Include:
- Diabetes medications
- Birth control pills
- Blood pressure drugs
- Asthma medications
- Sleeping pills
- Cholesterol lowering agents